Friday, December 3, 2010

the real christmas

most of the time, I let the month of December get to me. for the past few years,
it has always mean the same thing: snow, finals, bad drivers, and being cold, and christmas songs.

but I sometimes forget, it's supposed to mean something else. it is the Christmas season,
and for one month a year, people tend to take on Christlike attributes, and do so
more consciously. People are more willing to give of themselves, of their time,
and "the simple teaching of the Savior that “it is more blessed to give than to receive” (Acts 20:35) becomes a reality.

I had lunch with megan yesterday, and bless both of our hearts we struggle in the winter time.
but this year, I decided I want to try and truly feel and study the meaning and feeling of Christmas.

we have decided to read one Christmas devotional or story everyday in the month of December, and I could not be more excited about it. Today is day three, and here is my favorite quote:

Christmas is not a day or a season, but a condition of heart and mind.
If we love our neighbors as ourselves;
if in our riches we are poor in spirit and in our poverty we are rich in grace;
if our charity vaunteth not itself, but suffereth long and is kind;
if when our brother asks for a loaf, we give ourselves instead;if each day dawns in opportunity and sets in achievement, however small—
then every day is Christ’s day and Christmas is always near.


Merry Christmas season!
and please bless that I will get a better Christmas spirit.

3 comments:

  1. Roxers I loved that quote too, and I LOVE that we are doing this together. It has been so great to focus on what really matters at Christmas, and make the most out of this time of year. Love you darling!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the reminder....it really is so easy to let this month go by being so busy without remembering what it is all really about. What a great idea. You are such a great example to me! LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i <3 you roxers. happy christmas :)

    ReplyDelete